Position: Staff Attorney
Location: San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR.
Center for Food Safety (CFS), one of the nation’s top food and environmental advocacy non-profits, is seeking applications to fill a staff attorney position. The position will be based in either the CFS San Francisco, CA office or the CFS Portland, OR office, with San Francisco preferred.
CFS empowers people, supports farmers, and protects the earth from the adverse impacts of industrial food and farming production, and promotes organic and sustainable food systems. CFS uses legal actions, policy initiatives, scientific and policy reports, and corporate and grassroots campaigns to reduce the impacts of industrial agriculture on the environment and human health. CFS has an integrated suite of issue areas, including: GMOs, organic foods, climate change, factory farming, pesticides, pollinators, food labeling, food safety, nanotechnology, and more.
About the Position
CFS staff attorneys are responsible for developing, coordinating, and pursuing strategic litigation in federal and state courts on an ever-expanding variety of cutting-edge food and environmental issues, in support of CFS’s overall mission and its specific program areas, including:
· Climate Change
· Food Labeling
· Food Safety
· Genetically Engineered Organisms
· Industrial Animal Agriculture
· Organic Integrity
· Soil Protection
· Water Privatization
Other responsibilities of legal staff include:
· State and federal rule-making and administrative work
· Participating in agency, Congressional, and other meetings
· Representing CFS and other clients at hearings and policy events
· Maintaining and developing organizational partnerships
· Working collaboratively with policy staff
· Law clerk supervision.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
· At least 3 years litigation experience (administrative/environmental/health law or related area preferred)
· A passion for enforcing and strengthening environmental laws
· The ability to independently manage an impact litigation docket
· Excellent legal research and writing skills
· Self-motivation and willingness to do administrative tasks
· The ability to work closely with others in small, team-oriented environment
· Timely admission to the California or Oregon bar
· Interest or a background in food and agriculture issues a plus
To Apply: For consideration, apply to Russell Howze, CFS Legal Assistant, email@example.com Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please include a cover letter explaining your interest, a resume, a legal writing sample (not to exceed 10 pages), and three references.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer. CFS salaries are competitive and based on experience, and include a strong benefits package.